Mar 1, 2016
In the spirit of making up for lost time, another update to grace your inboxes!
Like many (most) authors, I listen to music while I write. I listen to music pretty much all day long, but I rarely write in total silence.
One of the groups that has had a heavy influence on the creation of Transilience, is a Polish electro-jazz duo, Skalpel. Testament to this fact is their inclusion in Chapter 1. I first heard them whilst I still lived in Detroit. One of the DJs on the local public radio station, WDET, gave them high regard and played several tracks off their 2005 album Konfusion regularly.
Like many (most authors) - yep, here we go again - I have adopted the rather boring and unoriginal practice of giving my chapters naught but a number....officially. Unofficially, I’ve assigned a song title to each chapter. These songs represent groups that I tend to listen to whilst writing. They are also relevant to the chapter. They form a sort of soundtrack to the book.
For this update, I’ve decided to share the track list and I’ll include hyperlinks to YouTube videos so you can listen along if you’d like. The list will, hopefully, give you some insight into me, as an author, and provide clues to plot and structure of Transilience. Enjoy!
1. "Infinity Girl" by Stereolab.
2. "Asphodel" by Skalpel.
3. "Here Comes the Moon Man" by Amon Tobin
4. "Shivers" by Skalpel
5. "Introductory Nomenclature" by Telefon Tel Aviv
6. "Chain Reaction" by Steroid Maximus
7. "Black Heart" by Calexico
8. "Aftermath" by Ahmad Jamal
9. "Tension" by Skalpel
10. "Sex (I’m A)" by Lovage
11. "Getting There" by Flying Lotus (ft. Niki Randa)
12. "Towers" by Bonobo (ft. Szjerdene)
13. "Break In (Paradowski Remix)" by Skapel
14. "Take Five" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
15. "Heard from Telegraph Lines" by Boards of Canada.
16. "Silicon Jazz" by Wavescape
17. "Fists of Curry" by Dan the Automater from Bombay the Hard Way Soundtrack
18. "Never Never Land" by The Vince Guaraldi Trio
19. "For Her Non-Place" by Prefuse 73 (I couldn’t actually find this on YouTube but it is on their album Interregnums, which I highly recommend).
20. "Your presence" by Bill Van Loo & J. Schanble (Again, couldn’t find a YouTube video but here is a link to the album. Again, highly recommend it.)
21. "Forces...Darling" by Koop
22. "Soul Clap 2000" by Recloose.
23. "Break Charmer" by Cujo
24. "Evidence" by Thelonious Monk
25. "At My Heels" by Daedalus
26. "Hindsight" by DJ Shadow
27. "Sculpture" by Skalpel (A great track to end a novel, methinks!)
And there you have it. A soundtrack to my book!
If you listened to any, or all, of the tracks, I hope you enjoyed them. As you may have noticed, Skalpel features five times, but again their music had an impact on the way I approached the material. It’s my way of thanking them,
6 Days left in the funding campaign and no steps closer to 250. If you want to support my novel, now is a very good time to do so! If you have, I appreciate your help spreading the word. And if it isn’t too much to ask, keep it up!!