Dec 31, 2016
Well, 2016 is on its deathbed. Appropriate analogy all things considered. We’ve said goodbye to many this year, although to be honest the famous deaths of this year didn’t really register in my ecosystem until the very end. Seeing as I don’t remember a world that didn’t have Princess Leia or Singing in the Rain in it, I definitely felt something when those two passed. To have them do so within days of my grandmother passing away definitely put a more subdued end on a year filled with frustration and stress. That said, there were some things I enjoyed about this year. Here are some highlights.
- Highlight moment of the year: Holding my very own book in my hands for the first time on Sept 13.
- Highlight moment runner-ups: 15th wedding anniversary (such a fun evening Michelle), Finishing the manuscript for Fall on Jan 18, appearing on the Current Geek podcast with Scott Johnson (I’ve been listening to him since 2009; yeah that mattered); winning two more contests on Inkshares; Publishers Weekly review; Audible book deals for Rise and Fall
- Best Movie: Toss-up between Civil War and Rogue One for me. honorable mention to Zootopia
- Best TV Series (started this year): Toss up here between Stranger Things and Orphan Black. Honorable mention to the new Muppets and Voltron
- Best Book I read: not touching that with a 39-and-a-half-foot pole. Too many friends published books this year. So instead:
- Most Surprising Book: Unattractive Vampire (did not see myself enjoying this)
- Most Difficult to read: tie between Ageless and Rune of the Apprentice for entirely different reasons (Note: I still enjoyed them ;-))
- Most Inspiring: Push
- Best Game played: I’d have to say Munchkin (adventure time or Cthulu versions); yes I hadn’t played it before
- Best Video Game played: I spend a lot of time in Civilization VI so that is a good answer. Stellaris is another really good one. That said, I think I’ll choose Crashlands. My daughter and I have spent hours playing concurrent games (no multi-player) throughout this year
- Highlight Verse I read: Psalm 27:14 - Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! (ESV)
So, yeah it’s been an interesting year. Rounding out the year watching the entire Harry Potter series with my daughter was another moment, including giving her book one in both German and English for Christmas. I’m so proud of her development as a linguist. Watching her interact with those in need on Christmas Eve, seeing the smiles on their faces when she spoke with them. It warmed the heart.
Looking straight at you now. What’s coming? Well, I don’t know. 2016 definitely did not go according to plan (except the release of Rise. That did happen as planned.) So, who knows what will happen but here’s what I intend on doing.
- By the end of 2017, the first drafts of Shatter and Unite will be done.
- I will be able to lead discussions and do live translations without fear in Arabic.
- And I’ll be able to hold my own in a conversation in German.
“Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.” – Ronald E. Osborn