Maya picked up her lunch tray and left, kissing her boyfriend as she passed him. Maya didn’t glance again at the girl James had mentioned earlier as she passed her by. Lindsay also didn’t glance at Maya when she passed by. With her big padded headphones and general demeanor it could be easily assumed that Lindsay was purposely unaware of the world around her. That wasn’t the case. Lindsay could hear everything. Lindsay was also listening to everything. Lindsay listened to the people. Lindsay listened to the conversations. Lindsay overheard to the relationships that the people were actively engaged in. Lindsay was an observer to it all. An observer but not a participant. An observer who wanted to participate but an observer who would not participate. Lindsay was an observer for that is the only role she was confident enough to play.
An excerpt from "Zumo Headphones", a chapter in It Was In A Coffee Shop.
So. One hundred eighty days have come and one hundred eighty days have gone. The pre-order campaign for It Was In A Coffee Shop is over, and the result:
Just six pre-orders of my book.
So, the pre-order campaign failed. Hard. This isn’t a situation where I believe I can redouble my efforts and bridge the small gap between my first effort and an effort that can succeed. I only achieved 2.5% of the low goal to get distribution through Inkshares. I can’t make up the other 97.5% by redoubling my efforts.
I could be angry at this point. I choose not to because what has anger ever gotten me? I could be morose at this point. I choose not to because what has being sad about something ever gotten me? I could take this as a sign that I am meant to be an observer and not a participant. I choose not to because being meant to do something denotes predestination, and predestination is something that goes against my atheist beliefs. What lesson do I take from this? The lesson I take from this is that Inkshares is another platform that hasn’t worked for me. Just another platform I have tried and failed at. I just need to find the platform that works for me, because surely there is one out there. There is. I know it.
So, how to go forward at this point? Well, initially I plan to distribute my work within my community. What that basically means is I plan to put a Dropbox link to my book inside the AllGames.com Community page on Facebook. As for the rest of you, you have one hundred eighty days. One hundred eighty days to wait. Wait untill I post It Was In A Coffee Shop online to a wider audience.