Greetings, Adventurer!

Hullo, I’m Rose Jermusyk. Welcome to 31 Days of Narratemes.

In 1930, Russian folklorist Vladimir Propp published his Morphology of the Folktale. It spelled out 31 narratemes (the most basic units of storytelling and narrative structure) as being present throughout the whole of Russian folklore. This was the major jumping off point for the field of narratology (the study of narrative, narrative structure, and how these affect our perception).

There’s a shared idea that the creator is revealed through the creation, that it is impossible to make a thing without it revealing something about ourselves. Since human beings are natural storytellers we should be able to reverse-engineer the story-making process going on continuously in our own thoughts in order to take control of the narrative and improve our lives.

That is the basis of this guided journey. Here you will become more familiar with the story you know you’re telling yourself, and the story you’ve suspected you’re telling yourself. Our main tool for this journey will be journaling by hand because doing so will make use of more areas of your brain than simply reading/thinking/typing; and, the more areas of your brain involved in your journeying, the more influence you will be able to wield over your subconscious mind.

This is critical. Your conscious mind makes use of about 3% of your brain’s total processing power, leaving the other 97% to your subconscious mind. The more surface area your conscious processing power covers, the more your subconscious will take note and work to support your efforts.

Obviously if you have a physiological condition that prevents you from putting pen to paper, I don’t want you to do anything that could cause you to hurt yourself. I just want you to be as "hands-on" with the journaling exercises as possible to activate as many parts of your brain as possible so that you can see the best results possible.

So if there aren’t any long-standing recommendations not to journal from your doctor, you’re gonna need to put to paper. So get yourself a journal, your journey begins now!

Next Chapter: 00: Initial Situation